Friday, April 6, 2007

Thanks, Mom!

My mom came over today to help me do stuff around here. Because of Evan being sick, I was behind on work, behind on dishes, behind on everything. I thought a couple of hours with her here would do the trick. She could play with the kids while I did some typing and I'd be in great shape. Well, my angel mother stayed from 11:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. She changed diapers, read books, did dishes, made dinner, vacuumed and folded clothes. Here's the interesting part...I fed Maren twice, gave Evan some lunch, put him down for a nap, took a shower and got only 30% of my transcription work done. Oh, yes. I also hand-washed four bowls. That's it! The second time I was feeding Maren I asked my mom if she had seen any time in there when I could've been doing something else really productive. I was basically wondering if I am doing something wrong and it's my fault that I can't take care of my two kids, do my work, make a nice dinner every day AND keep the house clean. She said she didn't think so. What made me feel really nice was at the end of the day, right before she left, she said, 'With two people, this job is doable.' Yeah, no kidding! We made a great team today...got lots of stuff done. And I learned that I really can't do it all...which isn't really acceptable to me. I'm just having a hard time figuring out how to alter time or something so that I can get all the things done that I need to. Anyway, thanks, Mom, for your help! And anyone who is looking for a service project, call me up. Ha! My job is doable...if I have some help. Thanks for your help today, Mom! What a way to spend a valuable sabbatical day. You're the greatest!

No comments: