Friday, April 6, 2007

No Grip on Reality

There is so much funny stuff I need to put in here and so little time. Plus, with the only remaining AA batteries having to be pulled out of the camera to make the mouse work, I have no photos to post. Anyway, I will try to make it quick. Evan started getting really sick last Friday. Runny nose, cough. On Saturday it was terrible! We were trying to watch Conference and he was just miserable...wiping his nose every 10 seconds, saying, in a VERY whiny voice, 'I have a runny nose!' I actually think that because he was sick we got to enjoy more of Conference. He mostly sat around with us...when he wasn't unrolling toilet paper all over the living room (pictures to come later). By Monday he seemed to be turning the corner and Tuesday was a good day as well. Then came Tuesday night...

The short story is that he woke up at 11:00 p.m. and was very upset. He wanted to sleep in our bed. We said that was okay and took him in there. That normally cures all that ails him, but not that night. He screamed and screamed with incoherent babbling until 3:00 a.m. The whole time we waffled between being concerned and trying to calm him down and make him happy, though not a darned thing worked!, and being really frustrated and demanding that he stop his crying and screaming so we could sleep. It was really scary because we've never seen Evan like that before. He really seemed like he was possessed by an evil spirit. Which brings me to the funny part...

Michael started taking Ambien (prescription sleep aid) a couple of weeks ago because the doctor wants to see if it would help him with some of his excessive daytime sleepiness before he gets in to have a sleep study done. So, as all this was going on, Michael was in a drug-induced stupor. But I didn't realize that. He was saying some really strange things to Evan. I just assumed that's because he was so exhausted and was going in and out of sleep. I know how frustrating that can be. Sometimes he would yell at Evan to stop screaming. Then I'd have to yell at Michael to stop yelling at Evan because something was really wrong with Evan and I was probably going to take him to the E.R. Yeah, ugly night! At one point, Michael thought Evan was possessed (like I said, not blaming Michael for this assumption...it had a firm basis for reasoning) and I think I caught him trying to banish the evil spirit from Evan's body. One comment he made was something like, 'I don't know what's going on around here. It seems like we've gone back to worshipping Pagan gods.' Around 2:45 is when Michael finally came to and told me that this whole time he had been very confused and reminded me that he was on his Ambien. He told me that at some points he thought Evan was just frustrating because his (Evan's) faucet display at Hope Depot wasn't working out right. Then it made sense that Michael had kept saying, 'Daddy will help you fix it.' He felt really terrible for having yelled at him and I think he felt a little silly about all the strange things he had said. But we finally got Evan some Tylenol and everyone got to sleep...

But not for long. Maren decided she needed to eat at 3:30, 6:00 and 8:30 that morning. I think that gave me about 4 1/2 hours of sleep. TORTURE!

So, Evan has a double ear infection. When he's in pain, he's pretty monster-like. It's been a struggle. But, we've got two days of Amoxicillan behind us so hopefully things will be looking up very soon and we'll get our angelic son back.

Oh, yes. Maren is sick now, too. Runny nose and the saddest cough you've ever heard. Actually, it's much like my coughs that I get. Close friends will understand...yes, the very forceful seal bark. Too sad when it's coming from a 2-month-old. Could she have gotten sick because her dear brother gives her about 100 lip kisses every day?!?! I wonder.

No comments: