Monday, February 9, 2009

Say what?

In the last couple of days, the kids have said things that really astounded us. We'll start with the funny and end with the serious. On Saturday Maren and I dropped the boys off at Home Depot and drove to my mom's house to give her our coffee table. Maren didn't know we had put it in the trunk. She went into my mom's house and me and the table followed. I put the table down in my mom's family room. When Maren saw OUR table sitting in my mom's house, she was quite surprised and said, "What is going on around here?" Huh? I was sure I didn't hear that right so I checked with my mom who confirmed that's exactly what she said. We got a good laugh over that one.
Yesterday morning (Sunday), Michael was working on the talk he would give in Sacrament Meeting that afternoon. I was sitting on the other side of the wall from the computer where Michael was looking quite concentratingly (interesting word, eh?) at his notes. Evan walked up to him and said, "What's wrong, Dad?" Michael replied that nothing was wrong, he was just fine. Then Evan said, "No, what's wrong with your talk?" Michael told Evan that there were just so many things he wanted to say. He wanted to make sure to say the most important things but he was having a hard time choosing which ones were the most important. This is what Evan said... "Well, Dad, the most important things are that Jesus is real. And Jesus will come again. And everyone will be resurrected. And Joseph Smith told us not to smoke." Well, I must've had the hugest eyes ever as they filled up with sweet tears. It's amazing what kids know and understand these days. He was absolutely right. He had no idea what Michael was speaking about but it doesn't matter. Those things are the most important (at least the first three, for sure! I love how that fourth one is the "one of these things is not like the other". Cute.). Michael shared that in his talk and Evan got lots of comments from the adults afterwards on how it was nice of him to help with his dad's talk. Pretty sweet moments for this mom.

2 comments:

Beth said...

Your kids are so smart! You teach them very well.

Pricilla said...

Memory, that makes me tear up too. What a special little guy you have!