Well, we had a momentous occasion here today. Evan gave his first talk in Primary and it was so, so fun. His topic was something about the prophets encouraging us to read The Book of Mormon. Well, all through the week I'd tell him we needed to work on his talk and he'd say, 'Mom, I already know my part.' Um, okay. So I'd ask what he was going to say and he'd reply, 'I don't remember right now.' Well, I never could get him to sit on my lap and help me put it together. He just kept telling me he already knew his part (now that I think of it, I would've really liked to not prepare anything, let him know what the topic was, and see what he would've said when he got up to the microphone today. Could've been pretty funny!). So, last night I decided I'd better put something together.
So, the time arrives and he and I go up to the microphone. Seriously, my motherly dreams coming true. I kid you not. I was all emotional! I whisper in his ear, not knowing what will happen...if he will speak or if I will have to say it all for him...and he says everything perfectly clear, articulate, and wonderful. What really cracked me up was that in two separate parts of the talk, I read him the few words in his ear and he said, "I don't want to say that." I said okay, moved on, read the next part, and he followed. He must've been constrained by the Spirit. Heehee. Several of the leaders in Primary asked me if it was his first talk in Primary and they were very surprised to hear that it was because he didn't seem nervous at all and he did so well. He did a really great job and we were so proud. Next time, though, he's going to have to write it and memorize it himself. :-)
3 comments:
Way to go Evan!! Noah gave one a couple of months ago...the presidency couldn't figure out how to turn the microphone on and all the kids were being noisy. One kid yelled, "We can't hear a word you're saying!!" Poor Noah! At least he did it though, right??
That is awesome! Kylene had her first scripture/prayer last week and she totally froze after the first sentence when she heard her voice "boom" over the microphone. I think it scared her hearing herself so loud:). I totally understand the "mommy's dream come true" moment:)
Good job, Evan!! Spence hasn't had a chance to give one, but Lexi has it is the best feeling!!
Post a Comment