Monday, December 31, 2007

Posh Vacation

Not mine. Michael's. That's right. He's living the high life right now while I struggle to get 5 hours of sleep here, in this disaster of a post-Christmas house, with two kids!! Okay, I best tell the truth before I get struck by lightning. So, Michael's sister, Jody, had knee surgery this past week. She has needed someone to stay overnight with her the past four nights. Michael's brother took the first two nights and Michael stayed there last night and is there tonight. Last night he went to bed at 12:30 (morning, really, I guess). I went to bed at 2 a.m. He was up with Jody for probably half an hour around 4:00 to get her to the bathroom and change her knee ice packs. I was up a couple times with crying kids who wanted to be fed and slept with. Jody finally woke Michael up at 10:00 a.m. Ugh. What??? I had to get up at 8:30 (I know, I know. Very late for some. I was really lucky that Evan slept this late. But realize that that was still only 6 1/2 hours minus the hour I was up in the middle of the night!). Anyway, I told him that if Jody needs someone on Monday night, I'm her girl. I want the cushy vacation in a small apartment five minutes away from home where no kids wake you up, where you can read a book or go to bed early if you want. There's no work, no mess, no bills to pay. Yep, tomorrow is my turn. Then I realize it's also New Year's Eve. Ugh again. That may throw everything off. For now I will just dream about my night away.
On the same topic, between yesterday and today, I've spent a couple of hours helping Jody get her clothes changed, get to and from the bathroom, change her ice packs and do her exercises. It has made me feel so good. It's nice to be helpful and useful and for something other than being a mom where that's pretty much required. It makes me wish I had more time to be of service to others. I'm a service maniac at heart, I think, but with my current work situation, it's hard to find the time to help. This has buoyed up my spirits and inspired me to find even little situations where I can make someone's life a little easier. :-)

2 comments:

Darilyn said...

Can I take a turn with Jody?

Anonymous said...

Sounds nice...I'm jealous!! Sleep is definitely something I am missing right now :)