Friday, October 26, 2007

Grandpa & Grandma Herbert




My grandpa (my mom's dad) and grandma left last week to go back to their home in Mesa, Arizona. It was a sad time because my grandpa was talking about how it may very well be the last time he is here. I am having a very hard time dealing with that thought, so I hope that he is wrong. I think there is a lot I don't realize about his health, though. I guess that's because I haven't asked because I'd rather be in the dark and in denial. His passing will be the first (other than Dallin) of really close family in 23 years, since my grandma died (my mom's mom). That's a long time for someone to get really comfortable with everyone she loves around her.


So, I thought I would put down in writing some of the wonderful memories I have with my grandpa so that I never forget. Here goes...
  • He used to change my diaper on the wing of his airplane (I don't personally remember this but many others do!)
  • I flew with him many places and even remember getting to steer as we taxied on the runway one day.
  • He taught me how to pump my legs when I swing and how to ride my bike.
  • He taught me how to float on my back, how to swim and how to dive.
  • He was a teacher, principal and asst. superintendent. He was always very proud of my spelling skills and would test me with big, big words.
  • He taught me mathematical tricks associated with multiplication, especially.
  • Many summers I spent up to 3 weeks with him and my grandma in Arizona. We went swimming almost every day. One year he wanted to get me to cartwheel into the pool and I was pretty sure I was going to hit my head on the side of the pool and die. After about 2 hours of coaxing I think I finally did it but I will never forget the terror I felt.
  • While I was there in the summers we ate ice cream every day. Grandpa always put milk in his ice cream and kind of stirred it up. I always thought that was strange. My parents say I would come home from there about 10 pounds heavier...which is kind of a lot when you're not even a teenager yet!
  • He is very proud of my typing skills and is always checking to see if I still type as fast as I did in high school.
  • He has always counseled me to be the best employee a company has ever had. Great advice.
  • He counsels us to stay out of debt and to stay close to the church. I would never be able to charge any amount of money on a credit card without thinking of my grandpa and how sad that would make him. So I shan't!
  • He absolutely loves Evan's big eyes (and Maren's now, too). Every time he sees Evan he tells Evan about the picture he has of him on his fridge that makes him smile so much because of his big eyes. He reminds me that when I was a baby I had enormous eyes, too.
  • My grandpa loves, loves, loves his family. He has been a wonderful example of hard work, learning, love, wise financial decisions, and dedication to the Lord.

For all these things and more, Grandpa, I love you!!

2 comments:

Darilyn said...

What an amazing tribute to an amazing grandfather. That is so wonderful that he taught you all those things. It's people like that, that you want to be around for a long, long, time.

Anonymous said...

Memory - that was so very nice. Your grandpa really appreciated it, and so did I.

We love you very much, Grandpa and Grandma Herbert