Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Childhood Memory - Happy Father's Day!

I must've been somewhere around 15. My brother 13, and my sisters 12 & 11. Probably have it all wrong, but something like that. Anyway, the night before Father's Day we decided to have a slumber party in the living room. Well, in the middle of our sleep, there was a noise towards the back of the house that woke us up. Someone was rattling the back door. They were trying to get in! It actually wasn't a door that goes from the outside to the house, but from an added-on, enclosed porch to the kitchen. I decided that since I was the oldest, I needed to protect everyone else. We were all laying on the ground with the couch blocking our view from seeing the perpetrator. I told my sisters to stay down so he wouldn't see them and told my brother to crawl with me to my mom's room where the gun was. I truly have no recollection of where my mom was...whether she was in there and I didn't want to wake her up and scare her or just what. Anyway, my brother found the gun and I told him to load it which he obeyed. :-) Then I told him we needed to sneak around the corner and have the gun ready to shoot in case the guy was able to break into the door. He asked what he should do if they guy got through the door and I told him he should shoot him! So, we're inching along the living room wall. Brandon was looking particularly policeman-like because he had the gun up at the ready. When we got to the corner, Brandon prepared the gun. He popped his head around the side, gun pointed, just as my DAD walked through the door! My dad had slept out in one of the rooms on the porch and needed to get in to go to the bathroom. Someone had locked that door and he had been trying to shake the door loose. So we laughing about the Father's Day when I almost gave the order to shoot my own dad. (Family, how much of this story did I get wrong??)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a great story! I love it! My sister in law once told a story about how she shot her sister in between the eyes with a BB gun just to see what it felt like to shoot someone! I love both of the stories! What a great idea to write down memories...I will try it, should I ever remember anything ever again!!