Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Miscellaneous Mumbo Jumbo


Ha! This picture kills me. Here is Evan with some of Anton's spy gear. I asked Michael if he told Evan to make a "serious guy" face. Nope! All on his own accord. Looks very threatening.

Through the summer reading program at the library, kids who read (or were read to) for 15 hours got a prize of going to Oaks Amusement Park one afternoon. Since it is hard to have much fun on our budget, we decided it would be great for Evan. Here is his first "real" ride. He was steering his steering wheel and waving as he passed us each time. I told Michael he is definitely ready for Disneyland now. The second thing he rode was some rockets that go up and down. He was Mr. Stoneface. Wouldn't even give us a sideways glance. He was too cool for his britches. Then he said he wanted to go on this roller coaster which we were sure he would be too short for and which he most certainly would chicken out of anyway. When we went up to the height thing, we found that he wasn't too short, miraculously. Of course, I volunteered to be the one to take him on the ride (thanks, Michael!) but I was still sure that as we had to wait for about 5 loads of people to get on and off and he saw them going around and around and up and down really fast and screaming that he would want to bail. Nope! He went on it! Unfortunately, Michael couldn't get a picture because it was going too fast and I put him on the inside of the ride to reduce his whiplash. :-)
I can't even believe I'm putting this picture on here. I look so gross! Anyway, Oaks Park has a skating rink. I was all nostalgic, picturing myself in junior high going skating with my friends to "Walk Like an Egyptian" and "Pump Up the Volume". So, I thought Evan should give it a try. He was all gung-ho about putting the skates on but had a rather difficult time getting the hang of it. It took us about 3 minutes to get to the actual rink when we decided it was time to go for the real thing. About 10 feet into it he decided he'd had enough. Truthfully, so had I. With having to hold him up, keep myself on my feet, and balance both of us at the same time, I would've had to have years of physical therapy and massage to fix the problems I would've had if we had even gone around once. But, the idea was fun anyway.

This is Evan and Jaren playing today in our (itty bitty!) sand box. They love it. It's about the one thing they can do together and not fight. I forgot to mention last night that Evan is all about doing things by himself lately. He gets all his clothes on (although yesterday he wanted everything backwards. His underwear didn't look too comfy that way and it looked like his head was turned 180 degrees because of his pants and shirt. He pours the milk into his cups and his cereal bowl. Surprisingly, we've had very few accidents with that. He's becoming Mr. Independent. It's good and bad, but most times very cute.

5 comments:

Cheney Family said...

Sounds like you guys had some fun!! Roller skating really brings me back also, so fun, so fun!!

Pricilla said...

Wow, what a fun adventure. You are such a cute mommy Memory. I am impressed that he can dress himself. That would be so nice.

Jen said...

What are you talking about...you look awesome in roller skates! Looks like a super fun day!

Meredith said...

memory...you should do like my sister and teach evan how to make his own breakfast. she makes big batches of pancakes, french toast, or whatever that stores well. she puts it at kid level in the fridge. she puts kid plates and cups and silverware at kid level somewhere in the kitchen. then she shows them how to get the plate, put food on it, and put it in microwave and hit the '30 second' button. voila! you can sleep in:)

Anonymous said...

How fun! I have taken Arwen ice skating, but after a couple times around the rink, we were both ready to collapse!!