No, this is not going to turn into a journal spot. I know that the greatest thing when I visit friends' blogs is the pictures of them and their kids! I promise pictures soon but I had to share this amazing story. I'm going to try to keep it short.
I feel like I never get to be of service to anybody. First of all, I'm not very good at recognizing someone in need and then triggering the thought that there might be something I can do to help. Second, I just rarely have the time to do something like make a meal for someone when she's had a baby or surgery. I often times don't get my own family fed very well because I'm busy working or taking care of kids. So, I was elated with myself when I recognized my sister-in-law to be in need. On her birthday, she found out her father was dying and she was also really, really sick. Over the weekend she didn't get much sleep because of the stress she was feeling about her dad, plus she couldn't swallow because her throat hurt so bad. I had some leftover enchilada filling from earlier in the week and decided that I could roll her up some enchiladas for tonight's dinner and that might be really helpful. I felt really good about being able to give service...and of coming up with it myself, without being asked. That seriously is a big step for me. I don't know why I wasn't blessed with the gift of thoughtfulness. It's very sad to me. Anyway, I am still REALLY sick. This morning when I got up, one of my first thoughts was about dinner. I knew instantly that I wouldn't be able to make anything. So what was I going to do? In the late afternoon, I was headed out to Target to get some meds that the doctor's office suggested. I had decided that I would just have to drive through Taco Bell or something on the way home to make sure that my family at least had something to eat. I walked out the door and Meredith was getting out of her car. I work with her in Young Women. And you know what? She had a pan of enchiladas for us for dinner because I was sick. Can you believe that? What a blessing to me. The whole experience has made me realize that we need to look for the little, less obvious times when someone is in need of service. This week I have been blessed by giving and receiving service. I hope through this practice I can improve my service skills. I think it is something that needs to be learned and practiced. I may have just taken my first step. And thank you, Meredith, for your thoughtfulness.
No comments:
Post a Comment